Economically Weaker Sections (EWS) are people belonging to the general category with a low annual income. (i.e below 8 lakhs) That means strictly not belonging to the SC/ST/OBC categories as explained by the government.
The preconditions for being recognised as a member of EWS category for getting advantage of the reservation in DU are as follows:
- The candidate must submit his/her Income and asset certificate issued by the respective state government to the University’s administration. It serves as a proof of belonging to the EWS category for availing the benefit of reservation.
Also, the certificate produced will be an authentic proof of the following prerequisites:
- Firstly, the candidate should belong to the general category with his/her family’s annual income being less than 8 lakhs.
- Secondly, the candidate’s family should NOT OWN 5 acres of land and above. (Combined Property)
- Third, the candidate’s family should NOT POSSESS a residential accommodation of 1000sq.ft or above.
- Fourth, the candidate’s family should NOT POSSESS a residential plot of 100sq.ft or above in notified municipality areas.
- And last but not the least; the candidate’s family should NOT POSSESS a residential plot of 200sq.ft or above in non- notified municipality areas.
[NOTE- Family includes the candidate availing the benefit, his/her parents and minor siblings]